This week councillors start a series meetings as part of the next phase of the new Development Plan process.
Well what does that mean?
So… the officials have now created a new draft document that has gone to councillors for consideration and these meetings will deal with changes being put forward by the councillors.
The meetings will be webcast so you can view them online. The document itself is a strategic planning document which means it sets out how we plan to grow our towns and villages from 2023 to 2029.
It’s an important piece of work because it can influence planning decisions in those years and sets local objectives that can steer council action.
It is important to note, especially if you are following it, that this is not the end of the process. The next phase will be public consultation and there will be another opportunity for councillors to feed in again (if they don’t get it right this time).
So what am I putting forward and what is my focus:
- More commitments around the development of the Ward River Valley. I want to see really clear commitments to increasing public amenities (destination playgrounds, etc), safe active travel connectivity thorugh and across (with special focus on Knocksedan Estate), remediation works relating to historic dumping, conservation of wild areas, conservation of historic stuctures around Ushers lake, and new sporting/recreation centre or swimming pool.
- Protection of lands for Brackenstown Community Centre/Swimming Pool.
- I will be supporting high ambition in the provision of walking and cycling infrastructure in Swords.
- I will be supporting the strong focus on climate action by Fingal County Council.
- I want to see stronger support for local retail in Swords (so they can compete with Amazon).
- I want to see the council support communities impacted by airport expansion by supporting housing options in nearby local villages, and supporting their efforts to prevent the fragmentation of the community.
These are just some of the areas I have looked at in my 30ish motions.